Saturday 18 June 2011

Comfortable corporate wear

“Dress sharply and they notice the dress.  Dress impeccably and they notice the woman – Coco Chanel”

I'm currently stuck in my comfy bed with the flu, and it got me thinking about comfortable office wear.  Does it even exist?  I know most office clothes are meant to be structural and tailored,  but some days my body hates me, or we have a loooong lunch to attend, or I'm just downright sick.  On those kinds of days I want to be comfortable, and I don't want to have to sacrifice my sense of fashion-self to do it.  I'm definitely not going to be wearing a snuggie to the office.

Flats

The first item of clothing that heavily affects my level of comfort, when all I want to do is lie under the desk and die, is shoes.  High heels on a day when your muscles are sore just make the office a living hell.  That is where flats come in.  Keep some black flats and some heels that go with everything under your desk at all times and you will never have a bad foot day again.

For the office, it's best if your flats are closed toed, neutral coloured, and in good condition.  Make sure they have some sort of soft sole going on and that they are not just a piece of fabric between your foot and the ground.

Steve Madden Kindness $35.95

Stuart Weitzman Elderberry $235.00

Edward Mellar Fixation $189.00

Structured dresses with a bit of stretch

You may have seen the word "ponte" on clothing labels,  this is actually the name of a polyester knit fabric that  resists wrinkles and creases and is very durable.  So, you'll be comfortable and you wont have to iron it in the morning.  As an added bonus, you can fill up at that firm-funded lunch.  For a cheaper option, Basque does a lot of dresses in this fabric. 

Michael Kors Ponte Pencil Skirt $52.12

Queenspark Ponte Dress $99.98

Wrap dresses

Wrap dresses are flattering and comfortable.  Just be careful with the necklines on these dresses which tend to be too low if you don't buy the right size. 

Leona Edmiston Latifa Dress $465.00
Allanah Hill I'm a Bit Beautiful Frock  $389.00

What not to wear

Do not attempt to wear track pants to work.  They are NOT going out clothes, despite what those Bonds ads insinuated. 

No, the heels don't make it any better

Don't wear clothes that are too tight.  They are bound to be uncomfortable, for you and for the people who have to look at you. 

Alicia, what is going on?

Don't wear ugly clothes.  Your "comfy" clothes to lounge around in at home and eat ice cream out of the tub in when your boyfriend dumps you, are not office appropriate. 

Don't just belt your Slanket and get on the bus

And when I feel so bad I can't even get a good outfit on, I know I'm too sick to go to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
This blog is about me, the Cubicle Fashionista, giving my view about fashion trends for the office, what to wear to work, how to incorporate fashion into your office wardrobe and how to avoid fashion faux pas in the corporate world. The blog focuses mainly on corporate fashion from a female perspective, over-achieving fashion-conscious women and the people they work with.