Tuesday 26 April 2011

Should women wear ponytails in the office?

This image has been going around the interwebs for a while now, and I'm hoping there is no truth to it.  I tend to wear my hair to work in a high ponytail everyday at the moment.  As far as I can tell, it's currently in fashion; consider the top knot and braided top knot that are in vogue at the moment.  I personally feel like high ponytails are cute (especially on younger women) and professional (as they sweep the hair off the face as opposed to wearing it down and messy)





The ponytail is also easy.  Wearing your hair down requires it to be sitting well, to be clean and for it to not be wet (which can all be miraculous feats in the morning before work).  In fact, I have a few pet hates I'd like to share:

   Women who wear their hair down when its greasy.  This is disgusting, it makes me want to puke.

   Women who wear their hair down when it looks like a rats nest.  You could do so much better with a tidy updo.

   Women who wear their hair down when its wet.  I am guilty of this on the weekend! It looks horrible, and the hair never dries well, it always ends up looking like you did nothing to it.  This is not what you want to look like at work.


Bleugh. Anyway, there's a bigger issue here which is: Should women wear ponytails in the office?  Are they too schoolgirl/child-like?   Does the ponytail angle of attack affect your perceptions of a woman?

My hair motto is that work hair should always look like you put some effort into it, whether its straightened or curled hair bobbing about the shoulders, or a ponytail with a cute clip.

Here's a hairstyle I've been considering, in the style of Lady Gaga (this fact may or may not ruin it for me):


Here's a tutorial on attempting to achieve the look, also... I'm not sure how this will go down in the office.

1 comment:

  1. Vey cute, but I don't think It's appropriate for most places maybe If you work in fashion or a creative field.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
This blog is about me, the Cubicle Fashionista, giving my view about fashion trends for the office, what to wear to work, how to incorporate fashion into your office wardrobe and how to avoid fashion faux pas in the corporate world. The blog focuses mainly on corporate fashion from a female perspective, over-achieving fashion-conscious women and the people they work with.