Wednesday 13 July 2011

How long are these turban jokes going to curry on?

Turbans have hit mainstream Aussie fashion.  They were on the catwalks and celebrities in 2010 and now here they are at Sportsgirl and Dotti.

Yesterday Alyce the Westfield Insider posted a photo of herself wearing the Dotti turban on Facebook.  This elicited varied responses from "that's racist" to "it's nice but I could never pull it off" and "disgusting wtf". (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=204214662963574&set=a.126181447433563.21177.117517234966651&type=1&theater)



I'm yet to make up my mind, but I think I could get away with one of these on business casual Friday.

Dotti $19.95

Sportsgirl has the Turband going on, which is not quite a turban, not quite a headband.

Sportsgirl $19.95

I think part of the way to preventing turban disaster is to pick a solid colour and to make sure the turban is not too big,  flowery and prominent. I also think the Turband is a lot easier to rock than the full on turban.  If all else fails, calling them the "urban turban" may help you convince people that you don't look stupid.



Prada

Extreme Turban

See this tutorial for: How to tie a turban 

Just remember that turbans are a sacred form of headwear in Sikhism and that a certain level of respect is required in relation to them.  A little light hearted banter and fashion is fine, but racism and attacking others religions is just stupid.

5 comments:

  1. I loveee turbans!!!
    Thanks for sharing the link on how to tie one haha! Im going to watch it :)

    Following you!
    Lovely Blog !!

    x.
    http://haterzhatin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your blog! Wish I could find a turban that looks good on me, I think they're so cool!

    xx

    http://www.cubiclefashionista.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. good post! it actually got me thinking! lol. I really like the turband look though! i do it with an old scarf! I'd feel horrible if anyone thought i was offending them though!

    -xx-

    http://lesbeauxetlesbelles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting ! Great turband post, I actually have a black one like the one Mary Kate Olsen's wearing!

    -Christine
    http://trendenvy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also torn on the turban. Leave it to MK & A to pull anything off though.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
This blog is about me, the Cubicle Fashionista, giving my view about fashion trends for the office, what to wear to work, how to incorporate fashion into your office wardrobe and how to avoid fashion faux pas in the corporate world. The blog focuses mainly on corporate fashion from a female perspective, over-achieving fashion-conscious women and the people they work with.