Friday 20 May 2011

Being "full-figured" in the corporate world

I am what you would call "full-figured".  I am not yet plus-sized (Australian size 16 and up), yet I often find I cannot wear certain brands without looking like a fat hooker in a unitard.

When I was sixteen or so, up until my early twenties, I managed to convince myself I was fat and that all of my problems would be solved if somehow I could be thin. So I got thin, and instead of solving all my problems, it created new problems.  In fact, I got so thin I only weighed 37 kilos, and I slipped just below a size 6 and managed to buy children's clothing.  This was not as amazing as I thought it was going to be.

Hundreds of dollars in dietician's fees later, I finally realised that people much prefer a happy, healthy me, than a sad, skinny me.  In fact, no one really liked the sad skinny me.  She never wanted to come to dinner, and she cried a lot for no good reason.  She was always at home, and she was just plain weird, secretive and manipulative.

So, a few years down the track, I find myself in my full-figured body.  In terms of the corporate world, dressing a full-figured body is harder than dressing a size six; but work-wise the healthy me is a lot more intelligent than old sad skinny me (apparently I ate so little my brain actually temporarily shrank).

Tips for dressing a fuller figure
1. Protect your bust
  • Wear the right bra, get fitted.  If you let the girl at the beautician see your vagina every month when you get a brazillian, you can let the lady in the change room see your breasts for a couple of minutes. 
  • Also, a great thing to do when you buy button-down tops is to swing your arms around a bit.  I recently had a wardrobe malfunction on the bus where this lady was staring at me really weirdly for about half the bus trip.  I realised just before I got off the bus that three of my shirt buttons had popped open when I reached up to hold the hand rail.
2. Do not attempt to drown your shape in material
  • Show your curves, add a belt, wear wrap dresses and fitted skirts.  Never attempt to hide yourself in shapeless clothing, this will only make you look bigger.  
  • No one is being fooled by that cardigan you use to hide your tummy, unless you are hiding a pregnancy.  
  • As an added tip for all you full-figured girls, when there are no seats left on the bus, ask young men for their seat by claiming you are pregnant. 
3. Take someone shopping with you
  • Sometimes even the worst looking things can look good on a spending spree.  Take someone who you know is honest to you.  
  • Do not bring your boyfriend and ask "does my bum look big in this?"  If you are full-figured your ass is already big, there is nothing you can do about it.
  • Do not ask the sales assistant. Sales assistants lie.  Next time you're out try on the most ugly thing you can find and then ask the sales assistant how it looks on you. 
4. Wear clothes you feel comfortable in
  • Wearing comfortable clothing does not mean wearing jeggings, I am talking about mental comfort in your clothes.
  • If you leave the house with an "if" or "but" about your clothing, don't wear it.  A full-figured woman, lacking in confidence, is an easy target.

Don't get me wrong here people!!!  I am not an advocate of the big, beautiful women movement.  I am an advocate of being healthy, and just being yourself without being all consumed by your body-image.  Not measuring your life and achievements in calories and kilos.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
This blog is about me, the Cubicle Fashionista, giving my view about fashion trends for the office, what to wear to work, how to incorporate fashion into your office wardrobe and how to avoid fashion faux pas in the corporate world. The blog focuses mainly on corporate fashion from a female perspective, over-achieving fashion-conscious women and the people they work with.